Monday, May 27, 2013

Bugs in the lettuce...good or bad?

I went to the garden to harvest some lettuce leaves for our hamburgers the other day and one of the plants was crawling with a large number of small bugs.
These tiny little bugs look like spiders and  so they creep me out. I don't want to rid the garden of beneficial insects, so I went Internet searching, i can't find the exact bug, but I think they are aphids or spider mites.  They definitely do not look like any of the listed "good bugs" even though I have seen no plant damage to the lettuce. I do have damage to nearby plants so I am going to try and get rid of these creepy crawlers using biodegradable soap and water first. I found this link on-line that has a bunch of bug remedies for natural growing practice.
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/homemade-organic-gardening-sprays.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment