Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rosemary and bush beans

Last year I planted 6 squares of bush beans (9 plants per square). The plants were very pretty, but every time there were blossoms, the next day I would go out and they would be gone I decided something had to be eating them, but never saw what. This year I planted the last of my seeds, between a late freeze and the dog digging, I only ended up with 6 plants, which I transplanted so they would all be in the same square.  I read that rosemary is a good companion plant  for your beans.  I had a small rosemary in another part of the garden, and it was not growing well, so I moved it into the plot of beans.  The result is good, both types of plants are now thriving.
Rosemary shown here, has a huge range of culinary, medicinal, and beauty uses. One thing I want to try this year is making  skewers from the stalks. 

My bush bean plants are no where near as bushy and green as last year, and with so few plants I do not expect a large crop but I am excited to see a few baby beans growing as you can see in the picture above.


No comments:

Post a Comment